Friday, January 25, 2008

The 2008 Shortlist is Announced...

On Wednesday 23rd January many schools attended the exciting announcement of the 2008 Bolton Children's Book Award shortlist at the University of Bolton...

In case, like me, you couldn't make it - the shortlist is as follows...

Titanic 2020 by Colin Bateman
The Geek, The Greek and The Pimpernel by Will Gatti
The Cat Kin by Nick Green
The Black Book of Secrets by F.E. Higgins
Deeper than Blue by Jill Huckles
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
Finding Violet Park by Jenny Valentine
Wild Magic by Cat Weatherill

So you all now know the books on the list - any surprises??

For the first time I wasn't involved in the shortlisting meeting so the list was as much of a surprise to me as everyone else but I think it's a great choice of books and I think it's going to be a very close run thing this year - I haven't got a clue which one is going to win....

As you know, we really like getting your comments on the shortlist on this blog - from now on, the only ones who can decide the winner is YOU!!! Your comments might influence how people vote, so if you've got a favourite get your comments on here now - you never know, your comment could persuade others to vote for your favourite as the winner!!

Hope to hear from you all soon!!!

14 comments:

max said...

i think the shortlist interesting lots of diferent books some of them i wouldn't read

i wonder what they are all like

Max Duxbury Philips High

Jackie Morris said...

My daughter loved The Cat Kin so much it became her favorite book.
Very strong list of books by wonderful writers.

Rachael said...

The shortlist looks quite interesting this year, I've already read one of the books on it, 'Finding Violet Park' and I really enjoyed that one and now I'm looking forward to reading the others.

I'm kinda dissapointed this year that I couldn't make the shortlist announcement either this year, the first time in 4 years (yes I've been doing it that long) that i've not been able to go because there wasn't enough spots. Nevermind though, I'll just have to make up for it by reading all the shortlisted books before the people that DID go :P

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about the Bolton Book Award shorlist. It's the first time I am getting involved. I have already read Finding Violet Park (fabulous), just finished Titanic 2020 (also fab) and have just started reading The Geek, greek and the pimpernel ( I'm hooked, can't put the book down). It's going to be a tough choice choosing the winner!

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Fatima and I like cats
cat kin is okay
But I don't like some of it

Anonymous said...

the Black Book of Secrets is very interesting see my blog at bifto.com

Anonymous said...

I've already read Black Book of Secrets. I think its really good because its full of mystery and its always a brainteaser to remember Mr Joe thingymajig (joe zibbidou)

jack latham, philips high school.

max said...

i have already read the geek the greek and the pimpernel and i could'nt put it down

this book is awsome and i recomend you reed it

max duxbury philips high

Agne said...

I have only read two books- deeper than blue and finding violet park. if you have read deeper than blue, the what do you think about its ending?

Nick said...

I hope to have read them all by the time of the awards in June (so far I've only read one of them... too many times!) The one that intrigues me most from the description is Wild Magic. That sounds very much like the kind of book I used to read as a child. Finding Violet Park also looks fascinating.

Agne said...

I have read only two books. What books do you think would be in 1st 2nd and 3rd places?

Anonymous said...

Books are excellent. But i think its absolutley rediculous that the organisers havent allocated spaces for each school at the workshops in March. Now my school cant go and i am really annoyed by this.

Anonymous said...

I have read the Geek the GGreek and the pimpernel it was great.I allso like the black of secrets. Iam reading wild magic its ok.


Bill Robinson Philips High 8L

max said...

i have just read the greek the geek and the pimpernel and i thought it was great i liked the mystery. i am currently reading skulldugery pleasent i think it is ok.

max duxbury philips high